My THREE DIY Halloween Costumes 2017 + Two Makeup Looks! (Group + Couple Costume Inspiration)


Happy Halloween! I know it's November now, but it still feels like Halloween. Especially with a post like this. Halloween is my favorite holiday and I've been looking forward to it all month (actually since November 1, 2016... but who's counting). I planned three different costumes with my friends and my boyfriend, and we had three different events.

I also DIYd and put together all of the costumes, so I'm super excited to share them, along with some details. Hopefully this gives you inspiration if you ever want to do one of these costumes or if you want to DIY a costume in general.


Costume #1: Jesus, Angel, and Devil


For our first Halloween event, we went to a dance at our university. It's advertised as a "Halloween Rave," so we wanted to go as something a little lighthearted and funny, and clothing that wouldn't be too warm and would be a little on the scandalous side. It's Halloween and we're young, so I figured, why not dress a little crazy!

These costumes were super simple, for Jesus all you need is a white bathrobe and a red fabric sash, and of course a cute guy with long hair and a good sense of humor to pull it off. My boyfriend, Taylor, was perfect for the role. For the angel and devil costumes, you can go in so many different directions. My friend, Christine, took a more casual route by wearing a red sheer top, black leather pants, red converse, and devil horns. While I took a more girly route and wore a sparkly white mini dress, white thigh high socks, white sparkly shoes, and a white fuzzy halo. Basically, anything red or white would work for these costumes.


My favorite part of mine and Christine's costumes was our makeup and hair. We both wore curly hair with white glitter hairsprayed into my hair and red glitter in hers. For Christine's makeup, I did a dramatic winged liner, red ombre lips, and a red glitter highlight. For my makeup, I did fluffy false lashes, bubblegum pink lips with gloss, and a white glitter highlight. It was so fun to play around with makeup for the night.


These were fun costumes that got a lot of laughs and were meant to be lighthearted. My friends and I would never want to offend anyone, but I know religious based costumes can be seen that way. I grew up Christian and am a very spiritual person, and I like to believe that God has a sense of humor!



Costume #2: Captain Jack Sparrow and Elizabeth Swann


I'm obsessed with this costume! Taylor is often told he looks like a young Johnny Depp, so we decided to go with that and do a Pirates of the Caribbean theme! On this night, we hosted a Halloween party for all our friends. It was such a fun night, and I could write a whole other post about that, but I digress.

This was definitely the most complicated costume to put together, but it's also my favorite of them all! For the Jack Sparrow costume, you will need a pirate shirt, black or brown joggers or loose pants, a bunch of thrift store belts, and a navy vest. For the navy blue vest, I cut the sleeves off and shoulder pads out of a thrift store suit jacket. Put some beads and braids in your boyfriend's long hair, add a red head scarf (the same fabric from the Jesus costume), and a pirate hat and you're Jack Sparrow! For a nice finishing touch, I put some black eyeliner on him and a red "X" underneath his eye.


For the Elizabeth Swann costume, you have a lot of options. You could recreate one of her outfits from the movie, like her fancy pirate outfit or even her regency dress and hair. However, since Jack Sparrow is so recognizable, I decided to go for a pretty typical girly pirate look. I've had this pirate dress for years, so I wore that with a black corset, a fancy pirate hat (Elizabeth is classy), black fishnets, and black booties. I braided my hair the night before so it would be wavy and messy and I put some braids and beads in my hair like I did for Taylor's.


This was such a fun costume to do, and Taylor totally owned being Jack Sparrow. I think he's a lot like him normally, so this really was the perfect costume. Plus, getting him to wear guyliner was a high I will forever be chasing!



Costume #3: Daenerys Targaryen and Jon Snow


We wore these costumes for actual Halloween, which was a lot more casual. I was so glad to have costumes that were more comfortable and laid back. I'm a big fan of costumes being personal, and that's what this one was for us. Taylor and I binge watched Game of Thrones near the beginning of our relationship and are obsessed. Plus, our hairstyles work perfectly for the characters!


For my Daenerys costume, I wore a dress and cape I found in a Cleopatra costume. I thought it felt like something she would wear in the earlier seasons, and it reminded me a lot of this picture. I cut the neckline lower and put some slits in the skirt, because why not be a little skimpy, did a classic Khaleesi hairdo, and was good to go! For Taylor's Jon Snow costume, I made a fur cloak by sewing faux fur from the fabric store onto a black vampire cape from the Halloween store. He wore all black and grey, put his hair into a half up bun, and moped around the whole night, just like Jon would. Ha!


We didn't have any extravagant Halloween plans, but we did dress up to pass out candy to trick or treaters and we watched Stranger Things 2 all night. I was actually pretty happy to have a casual night and casual costumes after the crazy weekend we had. I love having a lot of events and going out, but sometimes it's nice to have a night in with your friends.



Halloween Makeup Looks:

Pennywise from It and a Spooky Ghost:


One of my favorite parts of Halloween is doing crazy makeup looks for my costumes. Since all of my costumes had normal makeup, I did a few fun makeup looks on days I just spent at home watching Halloween movies.


I did the clown makeup that Pennywise has in the new It movie and I did a spooky ghost look. These looks were both inspired by videos I watched, linked in my last sentence. These were fun and easy to do, I used all products I already had on hand, other than some white cream face makeup I got from the Halloween store.

These looks could both be easily turned into full costumes. For the clown costume, I'd recommend wearing something with a lot of ruffles like my sweater, or stick with light blue colored clothes and add some pom poms to it. For hair, you could do messy red hair like the movie or messy space buns or pigtails like I did. It may not be exact, but it fits the vibe. For a ghost costume, you could wear any old looking dress that you imagine you would find a ghost wearing. A white lacy dress, or a collared black dress with white powder on it could work. If you don't have light colored hair, adding white powder or spraying it with dry shampoo would work.


Halloween is my favorite holiday ever and I'm so sad it's over. But even with one holiday gone, Holiday Season is still in full force. In a few weeks, I'll have Friendsgiving, regular Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years! Everything's coming up quick!

What did you dress up as this Halloween? Did you have any fun plans? Let me know in the comments below!

Thanks for reading!

Rebecca

// Costume pictures by Christine St. Clair //

Comments

  1. Great costume ideas babe! I love DIY costumes. Unfortunately I had nowhere to wear a costume this year so I didn't do one but hopefully for next year!

    xoxo
    Rina Samantha
    http://www.andshedressed.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts