How I Celebrated Easter 2016!

Spending Easter 2016 with my boyfriend preparing Easter egg hunts and Easter dinner. Accidental matching with our blue outfits and brown shoes!

Last weekend was Easter Sunday! Easter is kind of like Christmas and Thanksgiving put together, divided by 100. You get the family, the gifts, the traditions, and the food, without so much of the stress. Not to mention the spiritual aspect of this holiday, if you are a faith-based person. 

In years past, I was on the kid's side of Easter. I still received an Easter basket every year, and I helped my younger niece and nephew hunt for eggs. This year that changed. My boyfriend, Noah, and I decided to make an Easter dinner for our roommates. I also decided to organize an Easter egg hunt for everyone.

Easter egg hunt I prepared for my college roommates!
My college roommates all dressed up for Easter! Fun and fashion combined.

The Easter Egg Hunt

I spent early Easter afternoon filling plastic eggs with candy and quarters (for laundry!). Later that afternoon, I ran around the courtyard in front of our dorms hiding eggs in trees and bushes. Everyone grabbed something to hold their eggs: a grocery bag, a hat, even a mixing bowl! At the end of the search, there was still three eggs missing! I guess I'm better at hiding these eggs than I thought because even I couldn't find them. The pictures above make me so happy because everyone looks so cute in their Easter clothes!

College students' first time ever preparing a holiday dinner. Ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, asparagus, butter rolls! Yum!

The Dinner

This was our first time ever making a holiday dinner. It was so fun but so scary! All I could think about was every television show ever where accidentally ruining the holiday dinner and having to get Chinese takeout was the plot. Noah had never prepared a meat that large before and I had never made mashed potatoes and gravy before. With help from our friends, everything turned out amazing! We made ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, asparagus, and one of our friends made delicious rolls. I was so proud of how it turned out.

Awkward family photo with my college roommates after our first holiday dinner on our own.

We have a tradition of taking an "Awkward Family Photo" every holiday that we spend together. This Easter celebration was planned very last minute. Until a few days before, I had been planning on going home to celebrate. Even though I would have loved to to spend this holiday with my family, I wouldn't change anything about how it ended up being spent. I am so lucky to have made such great friends my first year of college. This Easter will always be one of my favorite memories. 

How did you celebrate Easter? Have you ever prepared a holiday dinner before? Comment below and let me know! I would love to hear your stories.

-Rebecca 

Comments