BACK TO SCHOOL SERIES #BECCTOSCHOOL | How To Make Friends In College + DIY Friendship Bracelets!


How has it already been a week since my last post? I have been seriously slacking on the blog lately and I feel awful about it. This past month has been crazy and this week even crazier-- I move on Saturday and start school again on Monday! I wish I could promise that I'll get better at posting on time, but with school starting again I'm really not sure that I can. I can, however, promise that I'm going to try my best to do better!

On the bright side, I have so many fun back to school post ideas. Hopefully I can actually make some of them happen! Keep on the lookout for new posts and follow the hashtag #BECCTOSCHOOL on instagram and twitter!

In today's post I'm going to share some tips on how to make friends in college and add a bonus tutorial on how to make friendship bracelets at the end. Last year was my first year of college and I moved away to a school where I didn't know anyone! I'm not very good at making friends and I was really scared that I wouldn't be able to meet anyone that I liked. To my surprise, I actually made a lot of really good friends! However, I do know other people who went their first year of college without making any good friends. I don't want that to happen to you! Keep reading for some simple tips that will work for even the shy ones out there! (... and I would know! I'm crazy shy!)


1. Live With Strangers!


This sounds so scary, but it's not as bad as it sounds, I promise! I'm suggesting that you decide to live with roommates that you don't know. It can be tempting to live with your best friends from high school, but trust me, it doesn't always work out so well! Plus, it is such an eye opening experience, living with people you don't know. The greatest friends I made last year were my roommates and my boyfriend's roommates. I'm even living with two of my roommates again this year! This is my number one tip for making friends in college. However, if you don't end up getting along with your roommates, don't fret! There are other ways to make friends!


2. Create Traditions With Your Roommates!


Once you've made friends in your dorm or apartment, a great way to get closer with them is to create traditions! Maybe celebrate a holiday together or have "family" dinners once a week. My friends and I had a tradition of taking an "awkward family photo" every holiday we spent together. And the girls I lived with, we did television show marathons of The Bachelor and Criminal Minds! There are so many ways to bond over traditions like these with your roommates, and they really do help you get closer!

3. Join Clubs!


This is something that will be constantly thrown at you during your orientation week. Don't shrug it off! Joining clubs is such an amazing experience. Most colleges have a ton of clubs spanning a range of interests. Go to your college's club fair and find one (or two or three!) that interest you and actually make an effort to attend the meetings. Last year, I joined an outdoor leadership club at my school, and it was such a fun experience! I made a bunch of new friends and went on so many adventures with this club. Try out as many clubs as you want until you find the right fit for you!

4. Interact With Your Classmates!


The weirdest thing about college classes for me was that no one talks before and after class like they do in high school. In college, you're free to leave whenever you want, so everyone leaves right as the professor stops talking! This makes it tough to make friends in your classes. You definitely have to make an effort to interact with your classmates. Try to show up to class a little early and sit next to people instead of all by yourself. If there's an upcoming test, try to form a study group. These are all ways you can make friends in your classes.

5. Sit In The Student Section!


One of the best parts of college is the events! At my school, we have sporting events, theater events, and outdoor recreation events. Usually these events have students sections! These can be a blast! Bonding over school spirit is such a fun way to make friends. Just make sure you show up early, because space fills up fast!

DIY Friendship Bracelets!


I looked online for a simple friendship bracelet tutorial and found this one that I really like! You have six strands that are in pairs of two that are the same color. Then, you basically just braid them the way you would a fishtail braid! Separate the strands into three on each side, one of each color. I did red, white, and blue for mine. Cross each blue strand over to the opposite side. Then continue to do that with each color, making a pattern. You can even add as many strands as you want! If this is confusing you, here's a link to the picture I got the idea from!

I thought it would be a fun idea to make some friendship bracelets for your new roommates if you're going to have them! I'm a firm believer in gift giving, and this would be the perfect simple gift to give your new friend. It's a great icebreaker too! Use letter beads to spell out "bff" or their name and add any other beads and charms you like. Customize these to your heart's content!

-----

I hope this post helped give some of you motivation to make friends in college! I'm not the most social person there is, in fact I'm pretty shy. If I was able to make a lot of good friends my first year of college then so can you!

What are some of your tips for making friends in new environments? Let me know in the comments!

Thanks for reading!

-Rebecca

 



Comments